Take it to the Bank Tip # 6 - Concentrate on the Focal Points.
Identify the parts of the house that stand like a fireplace, bay window, hardwood floors, and cabinetry. Emphasize with furniture arrangement like a sitting area and such. Also, bigger focal points might need bigger accessories ie. fireplaces and bay windows.
Other Moving Tips
- Clean or replace carpets. Beige or light-colored plush or berber is best choice
- Replace light bulbs with all the same type and wattage, ideally clear
- Clean fireplaces, glass doors, and mantles.
- Check for odors, smoke, pet odors, laundry, mildew
- Wash all windows
- Check fixtures and update out-dated fixtures, not necessarily with expensive fixtures
- Increase wattage of bulbs in dark areas
- Keep all curtains and blinds open during the day.
- Keep one large picture or one group of three small pictures per room.
- Keep soft music playing for showings Jazz or easy listening is best
- Use a neutral colors
- Your home should be similar to a window display in a mall
- Remove window treatments or leave sheer. Always open for showings.
- Natural lighting is best but use a lamp or two in a dark corner if necessary. A mirror on a dresser facing up adds needed light.
- Use a fork to raise carpet indentions.
To improve carpet stains and burns:
- Cut the damaged carpet strands
- Cut some strands from an out of the way discrete area such as a closet
- Fray the strands and patch the visible area with the fibers and superglue
- Tie up excess electrical cords so they are hidden behind furniture and not strung out on the floor.
- Entryway into a room should always be kept clear
- Don’t be afraid to exchange furniture from one room to another
- Scented candles are nice but don’t buy products that are made to cover up odors. Eliminate the cause of bad odors instead. Vinegar helps contain smells, baking soda is good for garbage bins, and cut up lemons for the garbage disposal. Air fresheners aren’t natural so use sparingly.
- If you have a wide wall use horizontal pictures, if your wall is narrow try vertical pictures
- Fill all holes in walls
- Leaving one wall bare is ok
- Paint over dark paneling
- Turn an ottoman into a coffee table, by placing a tray with coffee cup and book on the ottoman
- Turn off washer and dryer during showings
- Keep temperature around 70 degrees
- Be open to objective feedback about your home
- Store things off site, garage, basement and lastly in closets. Even if your things are boxed up nicely too many boxes makes your home appear cluttered and small
When de-cluttering now is the time to decide what to do with it: Throw it away, give it away, sell it, or pack it up. Uboxes has all of the moving boxes and moving supplise you need at Factory Direct Prices